Homepage > 0304 > Fixtures  
Farnborough 1-1 Barnet
R.Weatherstone (40)   G.Grazioli (35)
HT 1-1   Attendance 1063

Nationwide Conference
12 August 2003

From the Nationwide Conference Website

A BIZARRE GOAL from Ross Weatherstone helped Farnborough Town grab a point at Cherrywood Road against a determined and battling Barnet side.

Weatherstone, just one of the many new signing that new Boro boss Tommy Taylor has acquired this season scored in the 40th minute after Giuliano Graziol had put the visitors ahead in the 35th minute.

The equaliser which was a free kick from all of ten yards inside the Barnet half was as lucky as they come with Ian Hendon and Daniel Naisbitt both leaving the ball for each other to deal with.

However, luck comes and goes in football and when it comes your way it is always best to sieze the initiative and Boro would have been hard done by to take nothing away from this encounter.

During the opening stages it was Taylor's men who proved to have the more potent threat Carl Hutchings and Richard Hodgson looking dangerous on the attack while Barnet struggled with Boro's all round passing game.

However, the steady flow was interupted in the 25th minute when veteran striker Ken Charlery, who was reverting to defensive duties, was forced to leave the field with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

His replacement, Jay Lovett, had hardly been on the field by the timeGrazioli headed home Ben Strevens' lobbed left-hand side cross.

While the goal was harsh considering Boro's fluent play there could be absolutely no sympathy handed to the home side for some very sloppy marking in a rare Barnet attack.

Weatherstone's fluke then came to Taylor's rescue which in truth set up the second half nicely between two teams playing football that was only going one way.

Second Half

But still it was Boro who conducted most of the play with the Cherrywood outfit continuous threatening Naisbitt's goal.

Billy Beall, a second-half subsitute, came close on 57 minutes with a rusting drive from inside the box. However, Naisbitt was on hand to tip over despite a barrage of shirts obstructing his view.

From then on both keepers were tested but never fully stretched. Hodgson saw his powerful shot well parried by the Bees stopper whilseMark Osborn saved comfortably at the other end from Strevens' low shot from inside the box.

In the end the stalemate was about par for the course in an encounter that proved that the passion of the Conference season has well and truly begun.

Match Photos

Click here photos of the game.


From Press Association

Farnborough Barnet
52% Possession 48%
3 Shots on target 4
1 Shots off target 1
1 Offside 1
15 Fouls 14
7 Corners 1



D.Maddix, 37, unsporting behaviour
M.Rooney, 61, unsporting behaviour


S.Opinel, 41, unsporting behaviour
T.Neil, 55, unsporting behaviour
C.Hutchings, 89, unsporting behaviour



D.Naisbitt, C.Plummer, D.Maddix, I.Hendon, T.Taggart, M.Rooney, J.Gamble, G.Lopez (L.Hogg 45), B.Strevens, G.Grazioli, M.Williams (N.Sylla 77)

Unused substitutes - I.Yakabu, N.Saunders, R.Millard


M.Osborn, S.Opinel, T.Neil, N.Burton, R.Weatherstone, A.Hayes (M.Beall 45), P.Harkness (D.Pardesi 78), R.Hodgson, C.Hutchings, K.Charlery (J.Lovett 25), B.Belgrave

Unused substitutes - W.Packham, D.Reece

Other Reports

I am no longer linking to Barnet's official site's match reports. Please see here for more information.

Match Photos

Panther Studios sponsor one of Farnborough's players and have photos from this game on their website:


  Homepage > 0304 > Fixtures > Back To Top