Homepage > 0304 > Fixtures  
Barnet 1-1 Leyton Orient
Grazioli (73)   Tate (24)
HT 0-1   Attendance 827

Pre Season Friendly
23 July 2003

From the Official Leyton Website (whose address escapes me at present, but they're PTV anyway...)

A FIERCELY contested local derby ended honours even on Wednesday evening as the O's were pegged back by their non-league London neighbours.

With both sides conceding no quarter, and a referee with only a basic grasp of the laws of the game, the match was not short of incident, even if goalmouth chances were few and far between.

Paul Brush again took the opportunity to field six trialists, but unlike in previous friendlies, he opted against switching his entire team at the interval in favour of a steady stream of substitutions throughout the second period.

Former Dundee United centre-half Jim Lauchlan was given a run-out at centre-back, whilst Tom Newey and Marcus Ebdon also started with Rob Kember, Ram Marwa and Jamie Harnwell all named on the bench.

Barnet dominated the opening stages without forcing any clear chances and the O,s took the lead after 21 with their first shot on target.

Gary Fletcher, looking strong on the right with David Hunt, sent in a high cross which was well controlled by Gary Alexander.

He pushed the ball in to Chris Tate's path and the big striker steered it home from 12 yards. Ex-O Ian Hendon sent a rifling goalbound body in to the midriff of Dave McGhee just short of the break as Barnet searched for a leveller, but they were unable to trouble Glenn Morris seriously.

The main talking point of the first half, and later the second, was the inability of local ref Mr Osborne to deal with any of the physical challenges both sides, particularly the home team, were dishing out. On a number of occasions the game threatened to boil over as tackles went unpunished, but fortunately it did not erupt.

Second Half

Tony Taggart forced a save from the young O's stopper six minutes in to the second half with a 20 yard shot but sixty seconds later Orient thought they had extended the lead. McGhee followed in a driven Matt Lockwood free-kick which Danny Naisbitt parried but his celebrations were cut short as the offside flag surprisingly intervened.

Brush began to introduce his subs at regular intervals and Barnet levelled on 73 when one of them, the young centre-half Jamie Harnwell, was unable to prevent a Giuliano Grazioli lob over Morris from 20 yards reaching the net.

Grazioli's shot was well placed if not with too much power, and although Harnwell seemed in the right spot to head it away, he hesitated and the scoreline was squared. Tate, who had been in the thick of many of the heated exchanges, almost regained the lead for Orient with a lob on 83, but his effort was misjudged.



Danny Naisbitt (Ricky Millard 80), Mark Rooney, Tony Taggart, Ian Hendon, Chris Plummer, Danny Maddix, Mark Williams, Bai Mass, Giuliano Grazioli (Luke Smith 74), Ben Strevens (Solomon Henry 65), Lee Pluck (Lee Roach 65)

Subs not used: Mark Cumberbatch, Jamie Smith

Leyton Orient

Glenn Morris, David Hunt (Kevin Stephens 60), Dave McGhee (Jamie Harnwell 60), Billy Jones (Matt Lockwood 45), Gary Fletcher (Wayne Purser 45), Marcus Ebdon, Ciaran Toner (Justin Miller 68), Tom Newey (Rob Kember 74), Gary Alexander (Boniek Forbes 53), Chris Tate (Ram Marwa 83)

Subs not used: Lee Harrison

Other Reports

The Conference

  Homepage > 0304 > Fixtures > Back To Top